By setting ethnicity targets for our UK population, we are demonstrating our clear commitment to change, and providing the necessary focus and attention to deliver, whilst holding ourselves accountable.
The 'what' and the 'how'
We have developed the targets by analysing our existing workforce and census data across our UK locations to address representation across all levels. This has resulted in us introducing multiple ethnicity targets that we aim to achieve by the end of 2025.
|Scope of Target
|Increase ethnic minority representation across the whole UK population
|Increase ethnic minority representation at L0-3
|Increase black employee representation levels across the whole UK population
|Increase black employee representation levels at L0-3
By setting ethnicity targets, we are making it clear that directly addressing the representation of our employees is a business priority and we are committed to implementing change and driving accountability.
We know that it won’t be easy, and we have plenty of work to do, but we have a number of interventions in place that will help us to achieve our 2025 targets. Over the last year we have:
- Launched our new Inclusion of Diversity strategy which is focused on creating a diverse workforce, an inclusive workplace and a connected marketplace and has been brought to life through our vision JustBe@QBE
- Partnered with targeted recruitment agencies and job boards to ensure we are sourcing talent from a diverse talent pool
- Reduced opportunities for pay inequality during our hiring processes by moving away from asking current salary details, as we know this can perpetuate existing gender and ethnicity pay inequalities
- Reviewed processes and practices across the employment life cycle to highlight and reduce opportunities for systemic bias
- Partnered with an external consultancy to conduct research into our performance management processes to investigate the potential for racial inequality
- Introduced a tool that allows leaders to review promotion recommendations to ensure their decisions do not create or perpetuate any unintended pay disparities
- Designed and implemented an Ethnicity Action Plan that details our interventions across recruitment, career development and performance management to support the achievement and retention of our ethnic minority employees
- Launched and embedded a School Partnership Programme that targets students from ethnically diverse backgrounds and aims to provide them with the opportunity to experience meaningful and worthwhile work that will enable them to develop the skills required once leaving full-time education. It also allows the students to consider the Insurance industry as a viable career option.
We have achieved a lot and our awards and recognitions are testament to all the hard work that goes into bringing our culture to life; however, we will continue to further embed and monitor the impacts of our interventions to create a more inclusive, diverse and modern workplace that we can be proud of.